Welcome to the Central Coast Distributing Employment Opportunities page. We are an equal opportunity employer and will be posting all job openings to this page as they become available. Please check back regularly for updates.
Central Coast Distributing is a fourth-generation, family-owned beverage distributor serving San Luis Obispo and Northern Santa Barbara Counties. We have achieved nationwide recognition for excellence and quality with our suppliers by focusing on sustainable and ethical business practices. We remain competitive in our brand offerings and are the proud wholesaler of MillerCoors, Constellation Brands, Lagunitas, Sierra Nevada, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Mike’s Hard Lemonade, Boston Beer, Stone, Ballast Point and a variety of high-performing craft beer brands. We succeed by doing what we say, by keeping our commitments to each other, our customers and ourselves. We believe in fact-based selling. We believe in personal responsibility, taking responsibility for our actions and aim to support and show appreciation to our colleagues and customers.
The Area Sales Manager is essential to Central Coast Distributing’s success. This position will oversee a team of six Off-Premise Sales Representatives along with managing 8-10 merchandising staff to meet our sales and execution goals at retail.
Central Coast Distributing offers a competitive compensation package including employer sponsored health insurance, dental and vision plans, 401k plan with 50% match for up to employee’s first 6% contribution, car allowance, mileage reimbursement, cell phone and laptop computer.
Perform assigned management functions for all sales and merchandisers on your team.
Coordinate customer relations, retail data and sales team activities to achieve high performance goals and objectives within your respective territory.
Assist General Manager/VP of Sales in assuring effective distribution of accounts and attainment of designated objectives.
Maximize sales of all products by implementing established sales and marketing strategies in an effort to achieve or exceed company and supplier objectives. Responsible for developing an effective sales and merchandising objective for assigned area. Develop action plans to obtain objective and direct programs to make sure plans are achieved.
- Achieve distribution goals that meet or exceed CCD and supplier CORE brand and package objectives.
- Maximize retail execution as measured by Supplier’s account standards.
- Gain price realization and meeting pricing standards (competitive PTC, and use of label, shelf, display and window pricing where appropriate).
- Space management: Maximizing exposure of CCD products in all assigned accounts.
- Chain Stores: Execution and maintenance of chain account “headquarter” sets as well as working with store level personnel to “localize” the set in an effort to meet individual account needs.
- Independent Retailers: Utilization of Shelf Management space to sales.
- Assure quality control standards are met by ensuring proper rotation from delivery to point of purchase. Manage on an as needed basis the rotation and exchange of product at retail. Provide training to assigned personnel on proper product rotation and ordering so as to prevent out of code overages.
- Ensure effective internal communication by interfacing regularly with cross-functional co-workers and managers. This is done in an effort to build an organization that understands cross-departmental challenges and one that works together to create solutions that help achieve company goals and objectives.
- Meet with GM/VP of Sales weekly to discuss sales, merchandising, and retail activities.
- Meet with Operations Manager and Driver Supervisor weekly to discuss delivery activities.
- Meet with Marketing Manager as needed to discuss merchandising activities.
- Meet with Human Resource Manager as needed to discuss pertinent personnel issues.
Complete administrative duties in a timely fashion to include but not limited to:
- Monthly report summarizing sales, competitive activity and organizational results to the GM/VP of Sales by the 10thof each month.
- MBO (monthly business objectives) completed, audited and recapped.
- Maintain all other administrative duties and documentation to include but not limited to: status change form, absences, vacations and vacation scheduling, first injury report and performance documentation.
- Consistent route audits to ensure proper inventory levels, which includes build-ups and orders for all packages in distribution.
- Comply with all state, local and federal laws pertaining to the sale and distribution of malt beverage products. Execute all responsibilities of this position within CCD’s company policies and guidelines.
- Adhere to all company policies and standards.
- Adhere to all ABC rules and regulations.
Responsible for coordinating POS activity in your area working with the Marketing Manager, including but not limited to placements and maintenance of POS.
Responsible for hiring, training and evaluating team members, both Sales Representatives and Merchandisers.
- Direct the daily activities of the assigned personnel and make strong recommendations in discipline, hiring and terminations.
- Must provide the supervision and coordination of assigned personnel on a daily basis concerning sales, promotion, retail execution and product quality.
- Must maintain a consistent work-with schedule with assigned personnel. Work-withs must be pre-planned with specific goals and objectives identified. In addition, a work-with must include the demonstration of selling techniques, display building, merchandising, identifying objectives and measuring progress against goals.
- Ensure all assigned sales personnel are adhering to company policy.
- Ensure all assigned sales personnel are punching in start times, lunch punches and end of shift punches properly.
- Coach all assigned sales personnel towards selling company’s entire sales portfolio in each assigned account.
- Monitor progress towards goals of all assigned sales personnel daily and insure the information is accurate.
- Work with assigned sales personnel two days a week from first stop, charting individual progress towards 10 step selling by utilizing work-with reports.
- Information binders for each individual assigned sales person with account information that would be relevant to the account.
- Do a full quality audit in 10 accounts of each assigned sales person monthly during work with
- Monitor and insure merchandisers are faithfully completing their own individual jobs as set forth in their job descriptions.
- Work with merchandisers as your schedule dictates, but you must work with them at least once every six weeks.
- Pre-plan and produce a written merchandising schedule for your assigned personnel by Friday of the preceding week. Monitor your assigned merchandisers to assure unnecessary overtime does not occur.
- Ensure that all timecards, forms, schedules and requested data are turned into the right person and on time.
- Must become proficient in using the Encompass Technologies program to produce objectives and to support assigned sales personnel in their retail efforts to increase shelf space, market share, distribution, sales and account business reviews.
- Treat all assigned personnel in a professional manner and ask for advice from management concerning chronic issues and problems, use the company hand book as a reference guide.
Knowledge and Skills
- Must be capable of supervising, training and possess excellent communication skills.
- Must be highly motivated to create enthusiasm and team work.
- Strong organizational, time management and decision making skills a must.
- Must have good basic math and problem solving skills.
- Basic computer skills and knowledge required.
The above list includes, but is not limited to the basic functions and work performed duties relating to the position
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- 3-5 years of experience on consumer products/direct store delivery sales
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Periodic bending, kneeling, pulling and or/lifting 50 + pounds
- This position must pass background, physical and drug test
Preferred Skills and Experience
- 3-5 years managing people and budgets
- Intermediate computer and data application skills
This position will primarily be working in the field with sales staff, customers and merchandisers in San Luis Obispo and Northern San Luis Obispo County. Office time at Central Coast Distributing offices in Santa Maria will occur throughout the work week.
Reports to General Manager/VP of Sales
External Contacts: This position will be working with off-premise chain and independent account owners, managers and decision makers at retail accounts. Will occasionally work with supplier representatives.
Central Coast Distributing is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, protected veteran status , disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for the job. Duties, responsibilities and activities many change at any time with or without notice.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Type: Full-time
- Management: 3 years (Required)
- Sales: 3 years (Required)
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
- San Luis Obispo County, CA (Required)
- Driver’s License (Required)
Central Coast Distributing is a fourth-generation, family-owned beverage distributor serving San Luis Obispo and Northern Santa Barbara County . We have achieved nationwide recognition for excellence and quality with our suppliers by focussing on sustainable and ethical business practices. We remain competitive in our brand offerings and are the proud wholesaler of MillerCoors, Constellation Brands, Lagunitas, Sierra Nevada, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Mike’s Hard Lemonade, Boston Beer, Stone, Ballast Point and a variety of high-performing craft beer brands. We succeed by doing what we say, keeping our commitments to each other, our customers and ourselves. We believe in fact-based selling. We believe in personal responsibility, taking responsibility for our actions and aim to support and show appreciation to our colleagues and customers.
Sales Representatives are essential to Central Coast Distributing’s success. Each Sales Representative is responsible for advancing and securing beverage sales in the market, performs function to secure new business accounts and facilitates the needs of the existing sales accounts. This is accomplished through territory planning, selling, merchandising and communicating the achievement of company and supplier objectives.
Central Coast Distributing offers a competitive base salary, performance-based commissions, monthly car allowance, mileage reimbursement, employer sponsored health insurance, dental and vision plans , 401k plan with 50% employer match on employee’s first 6% of contributions, employer provided cell phone, laptop, iPad and tools for job execution.
- Effectively sell Central Coast Distributing portfolio in all assigned accounts
- Accomplish sales and distribution goals by executing the monthly, quarterly and annual business objectives and company initiatives
- Submit all required reporting, preplans, trackers, surveys, market surveys, expense report, mileage log etc., by required date
- Communicate on a daily basis with all field support personnel concerning work orders, beer rotation, pick-ups, displays, account collections and any account needs by working with Draft Technicians, Drivers, Marketing Department and Accounts Receivable
- Increase net core brand distribution over baseline throughout the year
- Interact respectfully and maintain dialogue with inter-company departments, suppliers and customers
- Support the rotating and merchandising of product
- Complete all required training to improve effectiveness and performance
Reports to On-Premise Manager
External contacts: This position will be working with owners, managers and decision makers at retail accounts. Will occasionally work with supplier representatives.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, day/hours of work may vary and may include weekends but typically are Monday through Friday 8 am – 5 pm. Scheduling is based on all assigned accounts being physically contacted on a weekly basis. Any deviations are with the On-Premise Manager’s knowledge and approval. Occasional participation in On-Premise promotions and events is required.
- Computer literate, ability to utilize devices such as iPad, iPhone , laptop computer, proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel
- General knowledge of industry products
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Effective organizational and time management skills
- Ability to develop strong relationships with internal staff and external customers
The position operates in our on-premise accounts , mostly indoors with occasional outdoor work. Meetings and trainings will take place at CCD offices in Santa Maria and occasionally in the trade.
- Lift, carry, push and pull up to 165 lbs ( kegs)
- Use arms, wrists , hands , grasp
Required Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or GED
- Cicerone Certified Beer Server Certificate required within 30 days of start date
- Minimum two years previous sales experience in beverage industry
- Valid driver’s license and auto insurance required
Preferred Education and Expereince
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Previous grocery, retail or on-premise expereince
Central Coast Distributing is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of all activities, duties or responsibilities the are required of the employee for this job. Duties, repsonsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Physical Work Location
This route will cover retail accounts in Northern San Luis Obispo County including Paso Robles, Atascadero, Templeton, Cambria, San Simeon and Cayucos
- Drive established route to deliver wine, spirits, beer and non-alcoholic beverage products to assigned customers.
- Record route activity and produce accurate and thorough delivery records.
- Read invoices, shipping memos, pick-up slips and other records to guarantee accuracy, completeness and proper condition of all orders delivered.
- Operate delivery equipment for which Department of Transportation requires a Commercial Driver License.
- Read and match customer purchase orders and invoices to company invoice.
- Deliver cases which may include use of hand truck, ramps, stairs or other function in the movement of cases.
- Handle and process COD deliveries and collect checks as required.
- Performs daily pre-trip and safety inspections on equipment prior to commencing route.
- Partner with dispatcher to acquire delivery schedule and communicate delays, arrivals, and/or equipment problems as encountered.
- Address customer concerns/complaints regarding spoilage, breakage, and/or shipments of incorrect product.
- Refer issues to appropriate supervisors as needed. Keep interior of truck organized and clean.
- Must possess a valid, current Class A CA driver license and acceptable DMV record.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- One year driving experience.
- Basic ability to read, speak, write and comprehend the English language to perform essential job duties.
- Able to count and perform basic math with or without a calculator.
- Lifting and moving objects weighing 50 pounds on a regular basis from floor to shoulder level repetitively throughout shift.
- Ability to twist and turn, ability to use full range of peripheral vision and fine hand manipulations sufficient to safely drive tight city streets.
- Must be able to work in extreme temperatures for extended periods of time. Occasionally able to lift up to 160 lbs. (full kegs) 3-4 feet onto a shelf.
- Walk, bend, sit, squat, twist, lift and carry on a continuous basis throughout the shift. Using a hand truck, must be able to push and pull up to 180 lbs. frequently throughout shift.
- Experience driving for the beverage industry.
Central Coast Distributing, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For more information about who we are and what we do, please visit our website at GreatBeer.US